Spiced Apple tarte tatin with whiskey tobacco reduction recipe from Chef Darren Badenhorst
4 granny smith apples
1 vanilla pod
150g brown sugar
10g ground cinnamon
1 sheet of puff pastry
Vanilla ice cream
- Have a pot of warm water ready, add the brown sugar and the vanilla pod cut lengthways down the centre to expose the seeds. Add a couple zests of the lemon then half the juice and the cloves.
- peel and core the apples then cut them into 1/8 wedges and add them to the water solution.
- bring to the simmer then take off the heat and remove the apple segments to cool.
- Roll out your puff pastry on a lightly floured surface to around 5-7mm in thickness then cut with a pastry cutter or a tea saucer with a knife to a size of about 14cm in diameter. Poke holes with a fork on the entire surface to prevent uneven rising and shrinkage. Place these on wax paper and pop into the fridge.
- . make sure your pastry is refrigerated so its firm, lay the apple segments in a fan like pattern in a circle on the pastry leaving a small hole in the centre, then sprinkle with cinnamon followed by golden syrup.
- To cook- place individual wax paper cut outs on top of each tarte tatin, then pick up the tarte and place a small tray or oven proof pan on top of the wax paper. Now quickly but carefully turn the tarte so it is upside down in the pan or tray. Repeat this process for each tarte.
- Bake at 180deg for 8-10minutes or until golden brown then reverse the process out of the pan onto a serving plate… add a scoop of vanilla ice cream in the centre to finish.