Tasty Meringues from Leopard’s Leap Family Vineyards:
- 180g egg white
- 360g castor sugar
- 0.5ml cream of tartar
• Beat the egg whites until foamy.
• Add the cream of tartar and continue beating until the egg whites form stiff peaks.
• Gradually beat in the sugar.
• Line a baking sheet with silicon paper.
• Pipe meringue mixture onto baking sheet and bake at 100°C until dry.
• Take out of the oven and allow to cool.
• Drizzle with tempered chocolate and assorted nuts.
Fat or grease prevents the albumen (egg white) strands from bonding, trapping air bubbles and stiffening. Please ensure equipment is clean and free of fat or oiliness.
Take care when separating the eggs as egg yolk also contain fat.
Acid such as vinegar, lemon juice and cream of tartar strengthens the egg white, extends the foam and produces more and stabile meringue.
Do not over-beat or the meringue will be heavy and soggy.