• 500 gram cake flour
• 250 gram butter
• 150 gram castor sugar
• 2 eggs
• Crumb butter, flour & sugar together, add eggs and mix till smooth.
• Cover in cling film and rest dough in fridge overnight.
• Roll out and line a 20cm tart ring, leaving a flap over the edge; rest for
• 20 minutes in the fridge.
• Then blind bake in a preheated oven at 150 C till golden brown, remove the beans and continue cooking till base is cooked. Remove from oven lightly egg wash base and return to oven for a few minutes to set.
• 10 egg yolks
• 450 ml double cream
• 100 gram castor sugar
• In a bowl combine egg yolks & sugar and mix till smooth with a whisk.
• Bring the cream to the boil, pour over egg & sugar mixture, mix well.
• Pass through a sieve and skim any foam from the top.
• Fill the prepared pastry case and cook at 100 C till custard is set with a slight wobble, approximately 30 minutes.
• While still hot dust with ground nutmeg. Cool to room temperature
• before trimming the extra pastry edge and serving.
At Bread & Wine, we serve this with vanilla poached pineapple & lime & coconut sorbet.